Bandwidth & Hardware Requirement Question

Deepak d88pak at gmail.com
Fri Aug 21 08:13:24 CEST 2009

Hi all,

I have done basic setup of freeradius and tested in my old PC (PIII).
Now I want to do the real thing but I need some estimation regarding
this. Can somebody share their knowledge on this?

What is the bandwidth requirement for dedicated radius service based
on numbers of user or hotspots. Yes I know more the better and more
users mean more bandwidth but is there a rough formula for this?

X users = Y bandwidth (roughly)

Besides what kind of hardware (can I use desktop computers for this
purpose), minimum memory?
Can I use the radius and mysql in same server or run separate in same
LAN? (recommendation)

Also I need a rough estimate on how many users can be handled by one
server with certain hardware+memory ideally.

Some expert advice is greatly appreciated

Thanks