Bandwidth & Hardware Requirement Question

Padam J Singh padam.singh at inventum.cc
Fri Aug 21 16:44:19 CEST 2009

Depends a lot on NASs implementation of accounting. Some NAS send
accounting packets  every X minutes. Some do it based on accounting
timers per session... so bandwidth utilization is quite different.

>From a live server having 2000 users online, with NASs sending
accounting updates every 5 minutes (from start of session), the
bandwidth utilization for accounting alone is less than 20kbps (@
average accounting packet size is 120 bytes).... so in this case 2Mbit
can do 200,000 sessions... you will have bigger issues than bandwidth
once you hit those numbers!

For authentication take the percentage of total subscriber base that is
generally online at any given time, and percentage of users logging in
at peak hours. The average authentication packet size is less than 200
bytes... do the math and you will get how much b/w required for
authentications.

Padam