Freeradius die-ing without any reason or log

Johan Meiring jmeiring at pcservices.co.za
Mon Aug 24 14:28:25 CEST 2009

Hi,

I have a production server running freeradius 2.0.5 on debian lenny.

Basic description as follows:
Server has been up for about a year.
Not too busy.
Approx 1.6 million interim accounting updates per month.
Server runs rlm_perl only.
Perl talks to sql database.
All packets stored in sql, auth/start/stop/interim.
Some queries do need a bit of optimization, it's on my todo list.

Above info is basically so you can get an idea of how busy the server is.

Now my problem:

It has now happened three times that the server has just died.
All three times in the past 3 months.

Server is getting busier over time, and it didn't happen in the
beginning, so it could be load related.

When it dies there is nothing in the logs whatsoever.  Just my last log
entry that I made from perl, and nothing else.

I also checked the system log files for things like oomkiller, nothing.

Any ideas on where to start troubleshooting as to why this happens, as
the logs contain nothing whatsoever?

I realise this is vague, please let me know if you need more info.

Obviuosly posting the full log is not going to work, as the server lasts
4-6 weeks before crashing.

I have in the meantime upgraded to freeradius downloaded and compiled
from git on about 2009-05-27 (identifies itself as 2.1.6, but from git
about a week after the release of 2.1.6).

No idea if this will resolve the issue.

Thanks!

--

Johan Meiring