Logging client IP address

Ian Chard ian.chard at ict.ox.ac.uk
Tue Aug 25 11:06:59 CEST 2009

On 25/08/09 09:50, Alan Buxey wrote:
> [Ian Chard wrote:]
>> I also want to have a syslogged record of each login attempt, which I
>> can do, but I can't figure out how to log the client's IP address
>> without having to specify every client individually in freeradius's
>> config.  As it is, I just get
>>
>> Login OK: [username] (from client big-netblock port 0)
>>
>> Is there a way around this without having to maintain a huge list of
>> clients?
>
> the single line log can be chaged to give more details...but the detail
> logs give more information - like explicit NAS-IP-Address etc - so if
> you want more detail, use the detail module....not the linelog.

I'm more inclined to use the linelog because I want the messages to end
up on my syslog server along with all my other auth events.  Can the
linelog be changed without recompiling freeradius?

> alternatively, use SQL to hold the clients and have each one defined...
> you can then use dynamic_clients so new entries can be added on the fly
> without server rebooting

If modifying the linelog isn't possible then I like the sound of this.
Is there some documentation on the dynamic_clients option?  I can't seem
to find any reference to it on freeradius.org.

- Ian

Ian Chard, Senior Unix and Network Gorilla | E: ian.chard at sers.ox.ac.uk
Systems and Electronic Resources Service   | T:  80587 / (01865) 280587
Oxford University Library Services         | F:          (01865) 242287