Freeradius with JRadius Performance issues.

Hemlata Shekatkar hshekatkar at boingo.com
Tue Dec 1 21:08:29 CET 2009

Hi,

I am evaluating freeradius with jradius. Currently i am performing
performance testing for the Freeradius-Jradius combination using radperf
tool. JRadius is simply authenticating the user from the
jradius-config.xml file using one of the default handlers, so nothing
fancy there. Here are a few numbers that i get.

Standalone Freeradius

500 requests/sec  gives me 461

1000 requests/sec gives me 858

Freeradius with JRadius ( Standard 8 connections in the configuration)

500 requests/sec  gives me 60

1000 requests/sec gives me 152

So, as you can see, the performance numbers are way lower when JRadius
is used. I tried increasing the connections and the threads in jradius
but it did not help. I understand that since the freeradius to jradius
connection pool uses tcp sockets, the performance will be lower than
when freeradius is run by itself but this low is something I did not
expect.

Has anybody run into this issue? Is there a way around to getting the
performance numbers higher?

Thanks for your help!

Hema.