Freeradius with JRadius Performance issues.

Alan DeKok aland at deployingradius.com
Wed Dec 2 12:06:17 CET 2009

Hemlata Shekatkar wrote:
> I am evaluating freeradius with jradius. Currently i am performing
> performance testing for the Freeradius-Jradius combination using radperf
> tool. JRadius is simply authenticating the user from the
> jradius-config.xml file using one of the default handlers, so nothing
> fancy there. Here are a few numbers that i get.
>
> Standalone Freeradius
> 500 requests/sec  gives me 461

  Hmm... that seems a little slow.  What kind of tests are you running?
 Authentication?  Accounting?

> Freeradius with JRadius ( Standard 8 connections in the configuration)
>
> 500 requests/sec  gives me 60

  That's likely due to the large overhead of sending data back && forth
to the JVM.

> Has anybody run into this issue? Is there a way around to getting the
> performance numbers higher?

  Try using radperf with "-p 500" rather than "-n 500".  That will
measure the maximum packet rate that the server can handle.