Config Examples

Alex Bahoor alexbahoor at sbcglobal.net
Sun Dec 6 03:32:31 CET 2009

Rick,

If I want to connect someonesWebServer.com, the only way I can do that is to
map the name to an IP address. First thing, I would use my default DNS
server which is served by my ISP to query the name. Because this is a puplic
DNS server, there in on way in the world you set a private port number, and
expect every user to query names in a broadcast form. The port must be 53
period. Similarly, when this DNS server does know not about
someonesWebServer.com, he would have to go to the next level DNS on the
Internet to query the name. That DNS server must be using 53 as well. This
is a fundamental requirement on public networks setup.

You can still change the ports on your private DNS server to any thing you
want for security reasons. For that matter, Broadcasts queries by any local
client would not be able to resolve names--all the client must be configured
with its dns ip address so it avoid broadcast.

Let me make it clear on public networks, and Internet, the only port you
would see on any DNS server is the default (53), otherwise, internet would
not be dynamic, and would be very clunky. And all DNS servers on the
internet build their diarchy based on broadcast.

I hope that help,

Alelx