Config Examples

Alan DeKok aland at deployingradius.com
Sun Dec 6 09:29:18 CET 2009

Alex Bahoor wrote:
> This is a fact--the internet would not work if DNS uses dynamic port to
> listen to? You must understand, all these known port numbers are used to
> start up client connections, however dynamic port assignment is part of the
> process to create connections between clients and servers.

  I would suggest not explaining basic networking.  Since I work with
FreeRADIUS && UDP networking daily, you should presume that I have some
minor understanding of it.

> So a client
> starts with port 53 as its destination port, then the DNS, which listen on
> this port, assign a port dynamically for the end user. When the connection
> is established between the client and server, port 53 is out of the
> established connection.

  No.  That is not how networking works.

> But still, why netstat does not show the port numbers?

  I explained.  Did you read and/or understand it?

  And "man netstat" might be useful, too.

  In any case, this list is not the place to discuss netstat, or why you
don't understand its output.  Please stop.