Pre-release of Version 2.1.8

Alan DeKok aland at deployingradius.com
Tue Dec 8 14:44:31 CET 2009

Bjørn Mork wrote:
> My problem is that this affects *all* proxied realms, including those
> with perfect radius servers.  I know, because one of those realms is our
> own, running FreeRADIUS on another set of servers.
>
> You'll notice that all the "No outstanding request was found " messages
> were caused by only 2 slow servers in 2 different realms. That shouldn't
> bring down proxying for the other 20 realms.

  Quite possibly, yes.  The issue is that FreeRADIUS has a limited
amount of packets it can proxy without receiving a response.  Once that
limit is reached, proxying starts having issues.

  This limit is around 8K packets in 2.1.x, and will be 64K packets in
2.2.x.  So if you're getting 500 packets/s for a home server, 16s after
it goes down, all 8k "slots" will be used.

> In real life, I need FreeRADIUS to survive anything a home server does
> without any effect on other realms than the one served by the bad home
> server.

  If you can verify that commit d7b4f003477 works, then that should help
track down the issue.

  Until then, configuring status-checks && local detail files will
definitely help.  I would recommend doing that *anyways* for network
stability.