default linelog Accounting-Request handling broken?

Josip Rodin joy at entuzijast.net
Wed Dec 9 00:18:37 CET 2009

On Tue, Dec 08, 2009 at 11:02:30PM +0100, Alan DeKok wrote:
>   Logging *state changes* is OK.  e.g. "this packet caused the proxy to
> decide that the home server is down".  That happens for *one* packet,
> when the home server changes state.
>
>   The messages you've asked to make "log file" would result in
> per-packet errors, not general state change errors.  That's why I'm
> reluctant to make those changes.

Yes, I understood that originally. The gist of the rationale for the current
behaviour is quite clear, but even so, many users would nevertheless be best
served by many per-packet errors being more clearly visible, because even
when they enable debug level 2+, they get a huge amount of output that is
hard for them to handle. Errors don't particularly stand out in the crowd,
and that isn't practical.

Perhaps the best compromise for some of these issues would be what the
Linux kernel folks did with WARN_ONCE() or printk_once().

--
     2. That which causes joy or happiness.