incorrect shared secret

Alan DeKok aland at deployingradius.com
Mon Dec 14 16:24:45 CET 2009

James Devine wrote:
> If a packet is received that contains an incorrect shared secret,
> should something be logged?

  No.

>  Looking through the logs, it looks like
> freeradius still tries to process the request, the password is
> mangled, but no mention of incorrect shared secret as far as I get
> tell.

  Yes.  The "incorrect shared secret" message is a *guess*, and is only
printed in debugging mode.

  And it's only a guess.  There is *no* way to know if the shared secret
is wrong.  The users password really might be a random string of binary
nonsense: that is allowed in RADIUS.

  If the packet contains a Message-Authenticator attribute, then it will
detect that the shared secret was wrong.  The request will be rejected
without being processed (i.e. no username/password checks).  And a
message won't be logged, due to DoS issues.