Accounting question

Alan DeKok aland at deployingradius.com
Wed Dec 16 09:32:10 CET 2009

David Peterson wrote:
> What I am not understanding at this point is how the authentication works with the username "hashed" or using "hex stuff" but the accounting doesn't.  You can see on this debug that the username looks the same when its authenticated as it does when it's used for accounting yet the username in the database is clear text.

  Because it's using TTLS, and there is *another* name inside of the TLS
 tunnel.

  This *should* be clear from the debug output.  Read it.  *All*.

  Once you have the inner User-Name, you can write both it, and the
outer "hex" stuff to a table for later correlation.  You were told this.

  Now stop trying to understand the problem.  Find the "good" User-Name,
and then write it and the "hex" version to an SQL table.  Use that table
to "fix" the accounting records.

  *Nothing* else will solve the problem.

  You're stuck on "oh my god, the user name is hex".  Get over it.
Ignore the hex nonsense, and go fix the problem.