Dynamic VLAN assignment works on EAP-MD5, but not EAP-PEAP!!!

Difan Zhao difan.zhao at guest-tek.com
Fri Dec 18 01:48:32 CET 2009

Good afternoon,

I am very frustrated to get it work. I appreciate any advice!

I have a very simple test environment.

Laptop (WinXPpro) --------------------------- Cisco3750SW
------------------------------- Radius server (RHEL 4 with FreeRADIUS
Version 2.1.6)

                                                      172.17.254.100/16
172.17.1.1/16

I have figured out how to configure attributes. Here is my "user" file:

test   Cleartext-Password := "test"

        Tunnel-Type = 16777229,

        Tunnel-Medium-Type = 16777222,

        Tunnel-Private-Group-ID = 3

When I use MD5-Challenge, I got put in the right vlan I wanted. However
if I choose PEAP, I can be authenticated but the vlan thing won't work.
I checked the Radius -X output very carefully and I don't see the server
is sending any attributes, as it did when the MD5 is used... I chose
different types of authentication on the windows box. It seems I don't
have to change any configuration on the radius server for both
authentications to work. I will attach both radius -X output for both
types.

I actually don't know if it's proper to ask questions in this email
group... If I am asking at a wrong place, please tell me where I should
go for asking questions like this... Thank you!!

Difan