OT: Re: Deny internet access to delinquent accounts

Alexander Clouter alex at digriz.org.uk
Tue Dec 29 00:08:42 CET 2009

Hi,

19bab79 <bryanb at awsllc.net> wrote:

> This is more of a project than a necessity. I was hoping to get this done on
> my own. We can't really afford to pay for the tech support either since we
> are a small company.

Well a quick way to produce a budget from thin air is to work out on a
monthly basis how much it costs *not* to have something like this in
place.

Remember to include in late payments, interest, your company
pro-actively chasing after customers *and* the load on your helpdesk in
time (including the delaying of *real* non-billing calls).  I am sure
there are other costs you can think of too :)

> I will keep searching on my own and hope some more replies come in.

Good luck, but seriously you need to spend your time looking into how to
get your network *infrastructure* (switches, routers, DNS servers [aka
views] and any proxy servers) to treat users differently without
changing their IP addresses/etc or getting them to reconnect....on the
fly and instantly.

Getting something to decide whether a person has paid or not is a flag
in a database that changes an attribute, this is a trivial problem and
the least of your problems.

You need to find out if your infrastructure can do what you need.  Means
you need to know someone who knows your infrastructure *and* knows how
to build something like this.  You might need to hire in some conslutant
time.

Cheers

--
Alexander Clouter