OT: Re: Deny internet access to delinquent accounts

19bab79 bryanb at awsllc.net
Tue Dec 29 03:57:24 CET 2009

I am sorry to say, but hiring a consultant is completely out of the question.
The only way to learn is to jump in and do it myself. Then, I will also know
how everything works if things end up breaking sometime. I will be building
and deploying this in a virtual environment. So hardware cost is not an
issue. I have all the time i need because that is one of the secretaries
jobs (collections of delinquent accounts). I love to do this kind of stuff
so I will be working on it in my free time as well as at work.

The plan is to run all of the different subnets (all access points in our
wireless internet company make up different subnets) into interfaces on one
side of the pfsense/freeradius machine. Since there are quite a few access
points, we will probably have to deploy a couple of these virtual machines
to cut the workload on each vm, and to make sure they don't slow down the
traffic at all.

Ideally I would like the machine to check each user the first time they try
to access the internet once a week. I would like to put this/these machines
close to the gateway of the network so they could still navigate our network
after they have been blocked from leaving. This would allow them to navigate
to our web page and the billing system that they can log into to manage
their account (the billing system is already up and working).

Saying all of this, I am wondering if it would be easier, since the boxes
will be on the edge of the network, if I configured the firewalls web gui so
that the secretary could easily input the ip addresses of the delinquent
account holders into a rule to block their traffic through the firewall. If
I were to do that, I would just need to figure out how to show them a page
so that they knew why they weren't getting the internet. Although, it would
be nice to have it all work automatically, with the box checking ip
addresses for delinquency on their way out once a week.

I really do appreciate all of the replies I have gotten so far.