freeradius2 Load-Balance Issue

Brian Carpio bcarpio at thetek.net
Wed Dec 30 17:59:27 CET 2009

Hi,

I am using FreeRADIUS Version 2.1.7, this is the RPM for RHEL made available
from (http://people.redhat.com/jdennis/freeradius-rhel-centos) which was
linked by the RedHat FAQ on the FreeRadius Wiki (actually I downloaded the
.srpm and change the .spec file to include --with-udpfromto in the configure
line).

Anyway I seem to have an odd issue. I have two home servers configured with
the below proxy.conf, the issue is when both server1 and server2 are up load
balancing works fine when I take down server 1 it goes into zombie then it
is marked dead which is all great (I posted those messages below as well),
then when I bring server 1 back online FreeRadius' status_check sees the
server up ( I posted that message below as well) however no more Radius
requests go to server1 (not unless I take server2 down then I can see
server1 starts to receive the requests) but it seems like either there is a
bug or I have something mis configured because I would assume once the
status_check notices server1 is back online it should start to receive
radius requests again..

home_server server1 {
        type = auth+acct
        ipaddr = XXX.XXX.XXXX.XXXX