FreeRADIUS without Universal Password

A.L.M.Buxey at lboro.ac.uk A.L.M.Buxey at lboro.ac.uk
Thu Feb 5 17:52:36 CET 2009

Hi,
> I had to ask, I have people telling me that this is a limitation of only
> FreeRADIUS and not all RADIUS servers in general.  There is a concern
> that the UP is being stored in clear text in Novell and we need to turn
> off that service and only use simple password.  Since I am no Novell
> admin I really do not have a clue if we can encrypt the UP that is stored
> on the server or what other implications there are in turning off UP.

you *might& be able to encrypt it - it'll still have to be in the same
place etc - then you might be able to use the auto-handle features
of FreeRADIUS for it to decrypt the password to something suitable.
never tried, but sounds feasible.  the record would/may(?) have to
start with the encryption flavour used eg {SHA256} or somesuch

alan