authenticating to ldaps/tls

Peter Param pparam at stvincents.com.au
Thu Feb 12 22:57:14 CET 2009

>> use start_tls=no fails also,
>Maybe but keep it to no

did that, still fails with the same message

>>  it seems to have a problem with the cert and/or cert directory:
>>
>> rlm_ldap: attempting LDAP reconnection
>> rlm_ldap: (re)connect to ldap1.stvincents.com.au:636, authentication 0
>> rlm_ldap: setting TLS mode to 1
>> rlm_ldap: could not set LDAP_OPT_X_TLS option Success
>>
>?? this is confusing... could that mean that your ldap library wasn't
>compiled with ssl support... I'm not sure
>see
>http://www.mail-archive.com/freeradius-users@lists.cistron.nl/msg09575.html
>(but this is a rather old post)

The version openssl I'm using is:  OpenSSL 0.9.8i 15 Sep 2008

The CA certificate is valid for the ldap server  because the client connects when
I test with...

 "openssl s_client -CAfile SVMHS_CA_SSL_Server.pem -connect
ldap1.stvincents.com.au:636"

Freeradius was compiled as follows:

/configure --bindir=/usr/bin --sbindir=/usr/sbin --sysconfdir=/etc
--localstatedir=/var --libdir=/usr/lib --includedir=/usr/include
--with-radacctdir=/var/log/freeradius/radacct --with-raddbdir=/etc/freeradius
--with-openssl-includes=/etc/include/openssl --with-openssl-libraries=/usr/lib

cheers

Peter

the system manager.

This footnote also confirms that this email message has been virus
scanned and although no viruses were detected by the system, St Vincents &
Mater Health Sydney accepts no liability for any consequential damage
resulting from email containing any computer viruses.