FreeRADIUS and Active Directory

Tomas tomas.radius at googlemail.com
Wed Feb 18 13:05:55 CET 2009

Dear all,

I'm trying to setup my FreeRADIUS to verify user credentials from
windows AD (at the moment I'm using users file). I have no experience in
joining Linux based machine to windows domain, I had a look at few
guides and found that the easiest way is to use "likewise-open". I've
joined my radius server to the domain and noticed that likewise did not
use samba's winbind or ntml_auth. Which according to wiki I've been
reading is a must to enable authentication using AD.
http://wiki.freeradius.org/FreeRADIUS_Active_Directory_Integration_HOWTO

Can I install winbind and samba manually, or should I start again and
not use likewise-open at all?

Thanks for your help!
Tomas