FW: upgraded from freeradius 1.1.3 to 2.0.4

Alan DeKok aland at deployingradius.com
Thu Feb 19 11:59:17 CET 2009

Frank van den Diepstraten wrote:
> For a few years now, I use a freeradius/mysql server for the
> authentication of users which logon with their dsl line. This always
> went perfect till I tried to upgrade the machine from debian etch to
> debian lenny. The freeradius version went from 1.1.3 to 2.0.4. When I
> upgraded user couldn’t login anymore.

  Umm... you upgraded software across a major version number, and you
didn't do the migration manually?

  We've made serious attempts to make the configuration similar, but it
is *not* the same.  Automated upgrades are simply not possible.

  Also, 2.0.4 is an old version.  You want to use a more recent one.

> I didn’t change anything in the config file which we used on the 1.1.3
> version of freeradius.

  That's BAD.  You need to *upgrade* the configuration, not just blindly
copy it over.

> While searching for this error I found something about the
> groupchecktable which we never used. In the config this option is marked
> out:
> And in the database is no table called radgroupcheck because I never
> used it.

  So.. not using that shouldn't break the server.

> How can I get my freeradius working again and simply don’t let it do a
> thing with the groupcheck (which I guess is the problem of the empty
> expand  which I see in debug mode)

  Find out what the real problem is.  Looking at *part* of the debug log
doesn't help.  Some expansions are *allowed* to be empty.