freeradius not start after upgrade from 1.1.7 to 2.1.0

Fabio fabio.sardi at gmail.com
Fri Jan 9 10:40:44 CET 2009

Hi all, i'm new on this ML.
I've problem after upgrading from v1 to v2

----------
# /etc/init.d/freeradius start

 * Starting FreeRADIUS daemon
freeradius
radiusd: Error: No log destination specified.
----------

In radiusd.conf the parameter of log are right with all permess:

----------
prefix = /usr
exec_prefix = /usr
sysconfdir = /etc
localstatedir = /var
sbindir = ${exec_prefix}/sbin
logdir = /var/log/freeradius
raddbdir = /etc/freeradius
radacctdir = ${logdir}/radacct

#  Location of config and logfiles.
confdir = ${raddbdir}
run_dir = ${localstatedir}/run/freeradius

#
#  The logging messages for the server are appended to the
#  tail of this file.
#
log_file = ${logdir}/radius.log
----------

I've search on the ML archive and i've found another thread with this
problem but seems different.
In my case freeradius not start with -X option and exit with error

----------
# freeradius -X

 Module: Instantiating suffix
  realm suffix {
        format = "suffix"
        delimiter = "@"
        ignore_default = no
        ignore_null = no
  }
 Module: Linked to module rlm_files
 Module: Instantiating files
  files {
        usersfile = "/etc/freeradius/users"
        acctusersfile = "/etc/freeradius/acct_users"
        preproxy_usersfile = "/etc/freeradius/preproxy_users"
        compat = "no"
  }
/etc/freeradius/radiusd.conf[1860]: Entry is not a reference to a module
/etc/freeradius/radiusd.conf[1789]: Errors parsing authorize section.
----------

The two line in radiusd.conf:

----------
1787 #  Make *sure* that 'preprocess' comes before any realm if you
1788 #  need to setup hints for the remote radius server
1789 authorize {
1856        #  Look in an SQL database.  The schema of the database
1857        #  is meant to mirror the "users" file.
1858        #
1859        #  See "Authorization Queries" in sql.conf
1860        sql # Edited

Any ideas?
Thanks