freeradius2 Proxy fail-over issues

Emmett Culley emmett at webengineer.com
Wed Jul 1 00:47:24 CEST 2009

Ivan Kalik wrote:
>> As I at first assumed...So, this is a bug after all.  If I put ipaddr =
>> localhost in a home_server definition I get the failed authentication I
>> described in my first note.  You can see in proxy.conf configuration lines
>> I included, where ipaddr is set to localhost for all four home_server
>> definitions.
>>
>> As soon as I changed the ipaddr parameter in all four home_server
>> definitions, and reset the server, I was able to properly authenticate.
>> Nothing else was changed.
>
> Are you sure your name resolution isn't broken so localhost doesn't
> resolve to 127.0.0.1 but to something else, which then causes
> authentication to fail? I can substitute localhost for 127.0.0.1 in
> proxy.conf in 2.1.6 with no effect to authentication.
>
> Ivan Kalik
> Kalik Informatika ISP

I just spent the last hour or so attempting to repeat and debug the problem I observed in the free radius client.  Then when I couldn't make it fail I switched the 127.0.0.1 IP address for localhost in the proxy.conf file of the server, and it worked as well.

So, as you suggested, I must have had a misconfigured system when I attempted to test this before.

Thanks for the help and sorry for the false alarm...

BTW, I am using version 2.1.6.  Thanks for all your hard work.

Emmett