Syslog and FreeRADIUS

A.L.M.Buxey at lboro.ac.uk A.L.M.Buxey at lboro.ac.uk
Mon Jul 6 18:43:33 CEST 2009

Hi,

> The reason for wanting to send everything to a log host on the network
> is that the new generation of radius servers we are preparing are all
> virtualised and only have a few GB of disk - so no room for logs.

there are so many ways of having proper disk access via a virtualised host
that i dont know why you'd want to cripple your config by relying on syslog
and such dumb technologies for transfer of such details.

FoE, FC, ATAoE, NFSv4, iSCSI etc

however, ANOTHER way would be to have a backend RADIUS server that sites
on a system with the big fat disks....this RADIUS server would do no
authentication/authorisation etc and would simply be an accounting
relay - proxy all your accouting details to it for storage - check
the various supplied virtual servers to see the ways this can be done.

virtualisation of a RADIUS server isnt a problem - I've used
FreeRADIUS in VMWare Fusion, Xen, and ESX - as you say, its the big
files that are the killer - so dish such stuff elsewhere
if you arent using the network to transit storage.

alan