Building FreeRADIUS2 on Solaris10

Alan DeKok aland at deployingradius.com
Tue Jul 7 16:12:30 CEST 2009

Steven Carr wrote:
> The documentation doesn't have any real consistency to it, some parts
> are indepth while others are sparse or just show the default
> configuration file. The config files may have comments in them that
> describe what each configuration item does, but there is no overview
> configuration, a workflow on how all of the configuration files fit
> together would be good.

  doc/aaa.txt is a start.  Also raddb/sites-available/README

> Under the HOWTO section [http://wiki.freeradius.org/HOWTO] most of the
> ones on the wiki itself refer to v1 and the offsite ones either no
> longer exist or are for v1.

  We had people complaining recently that most of the content on the
Wiki was for v2, and that documentation for v1 was hard to find.

  I think the confusion is that there are *very* few differences between
the two versions.  The documentation for one applies 95% to the other.

> The Build instructions [http://wiki.freeradius.org/Build] for Solaris10
> are still for v1 and indicate that extra packages/modifications are
> needed, but there is no indication if these requirements are still
> current for v2.

  The comments for Solaris are (a) fixing Solaris so that it can compile
programs, and (b) setting LD_LIBRARY_PATH to point to any locally
installed libraries (ldap, mysql, etc.)

  These are *not* FreeRADIUS issues.  That Wiki page also says that the
configure/make/make install process works for Solaris.

> There are lots of small changes which have been made in the FreeRADIUS
> code with regards to variables which have not been updated in the
> documentation, an important one being with the LDAP configuration
> %{Ldap-UserDn} is no longer valid and %{control:Ldap-UserDn} should be
> used instead. [http://wiki.freeradius.org/Rlm_ldap] still refers to the
> old variable, although the latest source code does have this corrected
> in the radiusd.conf file, the version which I am testing with on Debian
> (2.0.4) did not and so it broke, looking at the wiki showed the same
> information as was already present in my config file, it was only by
> searching deeper that I found this configuration to be incorrect.

  Well... the most recent version has the most up to date documentation.

  If you want a Wiki account to update the howto's, it's easy enough to
get you one.