make install without messing with previous configuration?

Stefan Winter stefan.winter at restena.lu
Wed Jul 15 08:16:28 CEST 2009

Hello,

I wonder if there's a way to install FreeRADIUS, but *not* have it
install config files in its raddb dir.

The reason being that if you have a previous version and a
well-shepherded config directory with only exactly the needed files, a
"make install" will clutter your raddb dir with default files. You can
delete the unnecessary files afterwards for sure, but it would be
preferable if raddb could remain untouched on request.
I even had one instance where I got bitten by it: a server didn't have a
sites-enabled/default. "make install" during an upgrade helpfully
created it with a set of module calls in it which weren't configured. As
a result, the server refused to start afterwards until the "default"
server was deleted.

So, is there some kind of "make install-no-config", "./configure
--no-touch-raddb" or similar?

Greetings,

Stefan Winter

--