make install without messing with previous configuration?

Nicolas Goutte nicolas.goutte at extragroup.de
Wed Jul 15 09:42:12 CEST 2009

Am 15.07.2009 um 08:16 schrieb Stefan Winter:

> Hello,
>
> I wonder if there's a way to install FreeRADIUS, but *not* have it
> install config files in its raddb dir.
>
> The reason being that if you have a previous version and a
> well-shepherded config directory with only exactly the needed files, a
> "make install" will clutter your raddb dir with default files. You can
> delete the unnecessary files afterwards for sure, but it would be
> preferable if raddb could remain untouched on request.
> I even had one instance where I got bitten by it: a server didn't
> have a
> sites-enabled/default. "make install" during an upgrade helpfully
> created it with a set of module calls in it which weren't
> configured. As
> a result, the server refused to start afterwards until the "default"
> server was deleted.
>
> So, is there some kind of "make install-no-config", "./configure
> --no-touch-raddb" or similar?

I do not know how to do it at compile time but you can do it at
runtime by specifing -d your_directory to radiusd.

So perhaps a make install will install many configuration files but
not where *your* configuration is.

> Greetings,
>
> Stefan Winter

Have a nice day!

> --
> Stefan WINTER
> Ingenieur de Recherche
> Fondation RESTENA - Réseau Téléinformatique de l'Education Nationale
> et de la Recherche
> 6, rue Richard Coudenhove-Kalergi
> L-1359 Luxembourg
>
> Tel: +352 424409 1
> Fax: +352 422473
>
> -
> List info/subscribe/unsubscribe? See http://www.freeradius.org/list/users.html

Nicolas Goutte

extragroup GmbH - Karlsruhe
Waldstr. 49
76133 Karlsruhe
Germany

Geschäftsführer: Stephan Mönninghoff, Hans Martin Kern, Tilman Haerdle
Registergericht: Amtsgericht Münster / HRB: 5624
Steuer Nr.: 337/5903/0421 / UstID: DE 204607841