Accounting redundancy problem

Antoine.Jean-Toussaint at bull.net Antoine.Jean-Toussaint at bull.net
Mon Jul 20 15:29:51 CEST 2009

Hi,

I deal with a problem that I would need some help to solve.

I'm running Freeradius Version 2.0.4 with sql_postgres and sql_log
modules.

Through the redundant module I can use a postgres database (on a remote
server) as a primary destination of my accounting messages and a sql_relay
file as an alternative in case of my database failure.

Almost, everything works fine, meaning that if I stop the postgres process
on my remote server, freeradius try to send accounting messages to it and
as it receive messages from the server telling that the connection is
refused, freeradius logs accounting sql request into the sql_relay file.

Now here's my problem: If I shutdown the server which host the postgres
database, freeradius try to send request to it and as there's no answer
from the server Freeradius doesn't pass through the SQL request through
the sql_log module. It keeps on waiting for an answer infinitely.

When I launch freeradius whith the "freeradius -X" command, I can see the
following message: Error: rlm_sql (sql_TMS): Failed to connect DB handle

It's very annoying because my backup solution doesn't handle the database
server unavailability!

NB: I tried to use the "connect_failure_retry_delay" directive within the
rlm_sql_postgres module but this has no effect!

I would really appreciate any help about this problem.

Antoine JEAN-TOUSSAINT

Network & Security Architect