FreeRadius 2.1 + LDAP Authentication - mschap

Mackey, Theral tmackey at zetta.net
Sat Jun 6 00:22:34 CEST 2009

[mschapv2] +- entering group MS-CHAP {...}
[mschap] No Cleartext-Password configured.  Cannot create LM-Password.
[mschap] No Cleartext-Password configured.  Cannot create NT-Password.
[mschap] Told to do MS-CHAPv2 for sminhas with NT-Password
[mschap] FAILED: No NT/LM-Password.  Cannot perform authentication.
[mschap] FAILED: MS-CHAP2-Response is incorrect
++[mschap] returns reject

Needs NT/LM passwords (or plain-text) for mschap to work. See perl's Crypt::SmbHash on CPAN for an easy way to generate the hash from plaintext.
Look at the samba schema for openLdap, and probably want to compile the smbk5pwd module for openLDAP as well (in the contrib section of the source) to keep your pwds sync'd (also check pam/nssldap conf for passwd changes using LDAP-exop if you let shell accounts change pwds too).

-T

Message: 7