DHCP code in 2.0.4+

Karl Auer kauer at biplane.com.au
Sun Jun 7 15:35:00 CEST 2009

On Sun, 2009-06-07 at 14:09 +0100, Arran Cudbard-Bell wrote:
> Karl Auer wrote:
> > DHCP failover and load-balancing are not simple *at all*.
> >
> They're trivial once you're storing leases in a transactional database.

With all due respect, Arran, no, they are not.

Two DHCP servers in a failover relationship must communicate with each
other, each maintaining information about the state of leases that the
other has. If they do so via a shared database (which seems to be what
you are suggesting, apologies if not) then the entire point of failover
is lost. And that is quite apart from the carefully timed state
management that must occur during takeover or recovery in the case where
a server drops out, is not reachable by its peer or is deliberately
taken offline. Not to mention the possibility of having several servers
participating in various failover relationships.

No - not trivial.

Hence my interest in how freeradius will be doing all this.

Regards, K.

Karl Auer (kauer at biplane.com.au)                   +61-2-64957160 (h)

GPG fingerprint: 07F3 1DF9 9D45 8BCD 7DD5 00CE 4A44 6A03 F43A 7DEF