DHCP code in 2.0.4+

Arran Cudbard-Bell a.cudbard-bell at sussex.ac.uk
Sun Jun 7 18:26:04 CEST 2009

Fajar A. Nugraha wrote:
> On Sun, Jun 7, 2009 at 8:09 PM, Arran
> Cudbard-Bell<a.cudbard-bell at sussex.ac.uk> wrote:
>
>> Karl Auer wrote:

>>> DHCP failover and load-balancing are not simple *at all*.
>>>

>> They're trivial once you're storing leases in a transactional database.
>>

> Can freeradius also detect "rogue" clients which uses static IP
> address? If yes, this could be THE dhcp server I'm looking for.

It'd be possible to implement this functionality with the policy
language... yes. But it won't do it out of the box.

You'd send an ARP-Request for the IP you were allocating, and if you get
a response then you'd log it. You can use the exec module to achieve
such functionality, or link it in with python/perl.
> Last I check ISC's DHCP tries ping first, but newer Windows (with icmp
> echo disabled by default) makes it somewhat less useful.

I think ARP-Requests would work better than pings in this case; as
almost all client side firewalls will allow them to pass.

Thanks,
Arran

Arran