DHCP code in 2.0.4+

A.L.M.Buxey at lboro.ac.uk A.L.M.Buxey at lboro.ac.uk
Mon Jun 8 17:24:10 CEST 2009

Hi,

> local-link, SCTP gets exciting too here).  It's going to make it awkward
> to deal with user accountability when most systems are built around the
> concept that the user has one IPv4 address...yet alone in addition
> several IPv6 addresses some of which vary over time.

add into that dynamic IPv6 addreses in the link-local domain when
systems want to talk to eachother. noone in the rest of the network
needs to know those addresses so how/when do they get logged and known about? ;-)

> I think that's why a lot of organisations are not keen on stateless IPv6
> address assignment but are keener on DHCPv6.  I personally would just
> like an event driven (no SNMP polling...) method that lets me log
> address<->MAC address usage.

aye. stateless router solicitated addreses just work but then you've got to
keep track/log them...and they can often change, nice. DHCPv6 would
be okay - ha. if only clients actually supported it!

> Apparently it's easy to see around 9->10am at some places DHCP traffic
> persistantly run at about 50kB/s or more.

..and wonder what that '-' before the filename is for in syslog.conf? ;-)

alan