DHCP code in 2.0.4+

Alexander Clouter alex at digriz.org.uk
Mon Jun 8 20:22:45 CEST 2009

Phil Mayers <p.mayers at imperial.ac.uk> wrote:

>> I think that's why a lot of organisations are not keen on stateless IPv6
>> address assignment but are keener on DHCPv6.  I personally would just
>> like an event driven (no SNMP polling...) method that lets me log
>> address<->MAC address usage.
>
> Whilst polling is awkward, event-driven has disadvantages too;
> specifically, high-rate changes (power outages).

We only have ~3000 hosts so we will be fine, plus event driven (for this
purpose) is easy enough to handle via buffering.  It's not like you need
real-time data, just "one minute late" data.  I don't know about you,
but we usually get our AUP notices days after the event :)

> FWIW I changed our ARP polling to use an "expect" script against out
> Cisco 6500s, because the SNMP ipNetToMedia table is sloooowwwwww when it
> gets >20k entries, but the CLI table is sorted in hardware-order, and is
> thus fast.

Worth remembering....don't happen to have a sensible Expect+Net::SSH
setup there I can 'borrow'?

>> I would ask for ideas, but this is all getting hugely OT.
>
> Ideas for what?

To keep this thread interesting, but it's FreeRADIUS content pretty much
has reached zero and I'm waiting for someone to grumble :)

Cheers

--
Alexander Clouter
.sigmonster says: Satire is tragedy plus time.