[rad] Re: pseudo-newbie exec scripts and session-time

John Dennis jdennis at redhat.com
Fri Jun 12 16:50:55 CEST 2009

On 06/12/2009 01:23 AM, Alan DeKok wrote:
> Charles Gregory wrote:
>> But CentOS is
>> supposedly still a 'supported' OS, so I think it's fair to ask simple
>> 'how to' questions for that environment.
>
>    Centos supports their OS.  This list answers questions about FreeRADIUS.

Let's clarify something, calling CentOS a "supported" OS is a little
misleading. Red Hat produces a commercial enterprise OS called RHEL (Red
Hat Enterprise Linux). It's 100% open source, the source for it is
freely available, but to get RHEL you must purchase a "subscription"
which amongst other things provides you with support. Lot's of folks
like the engineering and stability which Red Hat adds to RHEL, but they
would prefer not to have to pay for a support subscription, thus CentOS
was born. CentOS takes the fully open RHEL source, strips all the Red
Hat branding from it, rebuilds it, and offers it for free download.
That's all well and good, buts what's clearly missing in the CentOS
model is support (unless you're willing to call the CentOS mailing lists
and the CentOS bugzilla "support", but for most folks that does not
constitute support).

You may be surprised to learn Red Hat has a positive and good
relationship with CentOS. We believe they are contributing to the open
source ecosystem we espouse. Generally myself and most other Red Hat
engineers try to help CentOS users despite the obvious sidestepping of
the subscription fee. We also believe when CentOS users come to believe
having a support contract is in their best interest they will switch to
RHEL, because they've effectively have been running RHEL, just without
support.

So is CentOS supported? Not in my book, but we'll still try to help you
(within limits, after which we'll politely suggest you pay for the
support by becoming a RHEL customer). Make sense?

BTW, the philosophy of RHEL (why it's "older"), the philosophy of Fedora
(why it's bleeding edge) and CentOS is explained on the FreeRadius FAQ
under Red Hat (http://wiki.freeradius.org/Red_Hat_FAQ). It's incumbent
upon you when selecting an OS to install to comprehend the associated
issues of that choice.

--
John Dennis <jdennis at redhat.com>

Looking to carve out IT costs?