[rad] RE: Free Radius users record samples for SmartEdge router subcriberauthentication.

Charles Gregory cgregory at hwcn.org
Tue Jun 16 20:27:53 CEST 2009

On Tue, 16 Jun 2009, A.L.M.Buxey at lboro.ac.uk wrote:
>> abc      User-Password == "passwd"
> huh?
> abc     Cleartext-Password := "passwd"
> thats true for 1.1.6 (iirc) upwards

My turn to 'huh?'.....

According to the 'users' man page (man 5 users):
        Attribute := Value
 	    Always matches as a check item, and replaces in the
             configuration items any attribute of the same name.

My impression from the OP's first use of "==" was that he was
hard-coding the password into the users file. So wouldn't the
above code 'replace' the password, producing an 'always authenticates'
kind of condition? The example in the users man itself is:

EXAMPLES
 	      bob  User-Password == "hello"

 	      Requests	containing  the User-Name attribute, with value
 	      "bob", will be authenticated using the password "bob".

Which is, I think, a typo. It should say "authenticated with the password
"hello", shouldn't it?

- Charles