SSH authendication with radius server fails if the user does not exist in radius client

kpani dhandu_k at yahoo.co.in
Wed Jun 17 15:58:35 CEST 2009

Hi,
I am trying to authenticate ssh login using radius server running in another
linux machine.

I added a new user in /usr/local/etc/raddb/users of radius server.

Now when I do ssh to the radius client, the radius server denies request and
says 'Password doesn't match. But I gave right password. If I add the new
user in radius client machine, then if I do ssh, the server accepts and
authenticates the request.

So it looks like the radius client is not sending the password to radius
server if the user does not exist in local machine.

Do I need to configure anywhere in client or server to skip the local
machine user check. Please help me to solve this issue.

Thanks in advance.

Regards,
Dhandapani