freeradius on 64 bits

John Dennis jdennis at redhat.com
Mon Jun 22 15:21:36 CEST 2009

On 06/21/2009 06:39 PM, Sajeewa Warnakulasuriya wrote:
> Alan,
>
> Is there any advantage going with a 64bits system?

Others may have differing opinions or insights into issues I'm not aware
of, but in the case of a radius server I don't believe a 64-bit system
buys you all that much. The larger address space and expanded integer
range is an advantage in some scenarios such as databases, clusters,
etc. But the radius protocol and internal server operation doesn't
really benefit from the wider integer and pointer addressing to the best
of my knowledge. Nor would the backend database, the database tables for
radius just aren't that large. One can't forget there is a performance
penality for moving from 32-bits to 64-bits. Each situation is unique
and it's dangerous to draw general conclusions but a rule of thumb
around here is that compiled code (as opposed to interpreted code [1])
will consume an extra 1/3 of memory on average (that's run time locals
and heap usage, plus extra for the larger code size). So you're paying a
price to move larger amounts of data around and if you're not benefiting
from the larger data then all you're doing is dropping your performance.

[1] The reason for the distinction between compiled code and interpreted
code is that many interpreters always allocate the maximum size data
element whereas a compiler won't automatically use the maximum size data
element, it's smarter.

--
John Dennis <jdennis at redhat.com>

Looking to carve out IT costs?