Distinguish RADIUS requests from NAS device

Andrew Hall whippyhubbles at googlemail.com
Fri Jun 26 16:19:53 CEST 2009

Hi there.

We have a network device using FreeRADIUS 1.x for authentication. This
RADIUS server in turn queries an LDAP server.

We wish to distinguish between "admin" and "login" requests but are
struggling to differentiate between the two.

At the moment we identify the device by its NAS address but cannot
distinguish which type of login request is being made - so cannot then
choose which LDAP groups to query.

Our only solution so far is to run separate instances of RADIUS and
direct the network device to each instance per the request type it
receives.

Can anyone this of another way to distinguish the requests ?

Thanks very much.