SAML support for freeRadius

Stefan Winter stefan.winter at restena.lu
Mon Mar 2 07:58:49 CET 2009

Hi,

> I have been looking for freeradius with SAML authentication; but found
> nothing quite informative on this.
> Is there any plugin or pam module that supports communication between
> freeRadius and SAML protocol, like freeRadius with sql or ldap.
>
> Pls share any useful information on this.

Likewise: please be a bit more specific what support in particular you
expect. SAML in conjunction with RADIUS can be used in three ways (at
least). Please elaborate which of the four following scenarios you meant:

1) a user has an established SAML assertion and now wants to
authenticate via RADIUS. FreeRADIUS should be able to consume a SAML
assertion, validate it and accept the user based on this pre-existing
relationship.
2) a user logs in with a non-SAML credential. FreeRADIUS should be able
to use a SAML-enabled backend to verify these credentials.
3) a user logs in with a non-SAML credential. FreeRADIUS uses a non-SAML
backend, but transports a SAML assertion to the user which the user can
later use to enter SAML-enabled resources.
4) You meant something completely different.

Please tick any that apply :-)

Greetings,

Stefan Winter

--