Version 2.1.4 is schizophrenic (Was: Version 2.1.4 has been released)

John Dennis jdennis at redhat.com
Wed Mar 11 14:48:44 CET 2009

I saw that there is a new tar file for the new release so I downloaded
it and tried to build it, alas it won't build because the new tar file
is  schizophrenic with multiple identities.

The tar file is named 2.1.4. The tar root directory is named 2.1.4. But
the file freeradius-server-2.1.4/VERSION declares 2.1.5.

This mismatch between the name of the archive and the VERSION file
causes build failures (aside from thwarting the expectations of RPM
based build and it's spec file it seems to confuse libtool when it names
libraries resulting in missing libraries).

I noticed there was no freeradius-server-2.1.5.tar.bz2 file in the
download area. It looks like what was to have been the contents of 2.1.5
got rolled up as a 2.1.4 distribution.

--
John Dennis <jdennis at redhat.com>

Looking to carve out IT costs?