How to prevent endless proxy looping

Alan DeKok aland at deployingradius.com
Tue Mar 17 08:34:19 CET 2009

piston wrote:
> I have a endless proxy looping problem.

  You probably haven't had it for long.  If it's been looping packets
for a long time, you would have noticed.

> 1. problem username format: userid at my-realm@other-realm
> 2. on the freeradius, i proxy (nostrip) suffix @other-realm to partner's radiator radius server
> 3. on my partner then proxy back (nostrip) the same username base on @my-realm to my freeradius
> 4. so this username userid at my-realm@other-realm is bouncing in between my radius and my partner's radius endlessly
> 5. both my & partner cannot change the way we proxy, because it will impact on other proxy.

  Take a step back.  You have described a solution, not a problem.  Your
solution doesn't work, and therefore also doesn't solve the problem.

  So... what is the problem you are trying to solve?  Describe that.
Odds are that there is a solution that is *different* from what you
described above.  And, that solution will likely not have the endless
looping problem.

> Is there has any parameter which i can configure to terminate such proxy traffic?

  Don't configure it so that it loops.