FreeRadius only works in debug mode

A.L.M.Buxey at lboro.ac.uk A.L.M.Buxey at lboro.ac.uk
Tue Mar 17 23:36:21 CET 2009

Hi,

> My other email to the list from last week appears to have disappeared into
> the ether...probably too big with the whole config file.
>
> Hopefull someone can offer advice on this issue. If I start up radiusd (on
> SuSE/OES linux, install from Yast) with the standard script in init.d it
> doesn't open up the port or authenticate.
>
> However, if I add the debug parameter (-x) to that same script, it works
> just fine.
>
> For example, if I change this line in /etc/init.d/radiusd ...
> startproc $RADIUSD_BIN > /var/log/radius/radius.log
> ... to this ...
> startproc $RADIUSD_BIN -x > /var/log/radius/radius.log
> ... it authenticates beautifully.
>
> Googling around it looks like I'm not the only one with this problem, but
> the only solution seems to be a manual recompile.

when run in debug, it runs with greater privs - check your eg /var/log/radius
directory, your used tmp directories, /etc/raddb  etc for their permissions - does the
user/group you have defined in radiusd.conf have relevant read/write permissions

other common issue is eg selinux daemon/service protection

alan