dear everyone..

A.L.M.Buxey at lboro.ac.uk A.L.M.Buxey at lboro.ac.uk
Thu Mar 19 10:20:24 CET 2009

Hi,
> iam a new bie freeradius user, i have a duty from my lecture to build a hotspot captive portal using chillispot and freeradius. now i make it, chilispot and freeradius working well on ubuntu machine, but the problem is my lecture want me to do stress test on the radius server to make sure that the system is still working well in any condition..
>
> i still confused how to perform the stress test...anyone help me please..thank you for your attentionsorry for bad english :D

there are a couple of scripts supplied with the server to allow
benchmarking which hit the server fast and hard. run a couple
of those whilst eg flood pinging the system.  but 'any condition'
is hardly any kind of scientific or useful phrase. for example,
is the system working well if half the packets get lost? does
the system work well if packets are routed in different directions?
does the system work well when an idiot logs into the box and runs
other random processes that take up CPU time (nice bit of SETI or
D2OL etc)?  quantify the scenarios before you can demonstrate behaviour.
useful exercise as you might uncover some wierd corner case to
help improve the server (I've found several Linux kernel issues
over the years on very stressed servers)

alan