CHAP authentication issue

Alan DeKok aland at deployingradius.com
Tue Mar 24 17:53:20 CET 2009

Alan Cooper wrote:
> Can you indulge my curiousity and point out (or point me at the docs
> that explain) what changed?

  User-Password is an attribute that goes into a RADIUS packet.

  Cleartext-Password is the "known good" password that the server has.

  You can use Cleartext-Password to do PAP, CHAP, or MS-CHAP
authentication.  But you can't really "compare" it to anything.

 As someone who has to dip in now & again
> to keep a RADIUS platform operational, I'm finding the docs a bit
> bewildering and the differences in configs between versions difficult
> to locate and understand.

  The new configs are documented a lot better than the old ones.  There
is little documentation saying what the differences are.