FreeRADIUS / ippool / Wireless

Tim Gustafson tjg at soe.ucsc.edu
Tue Mar 24 23:11:42 CET 2009

Hi,

I'm using FreeRADIUS 2.1.3 on FreeBSD 7.1 to authorize users on my Cisco 1200 WAPs.

I was wondering if it is possible to use ippools to assign client IPs rather than having them use DHCP, and I Googled around a bit and found a message that said this can't be done.  I was curious if it can't be done because it's just something that fundamentally cannot work, or was it something that couldn't be done at the time, but perhaps can be done now or in the future?

If it can't be done, I would love to hear any feedback people have about how to map wireless users to IP addresses.  Has anyone else figured out a way to be able to record this kind of data without resorting to matching MAC addresses from the radius accounting records with data in a DHCP server log?

Tim Gustafson
BSOE Webmaster
UC Santa Cruz
tjg at soe.ucsc.edu