Duplicate Acct-Status packets

tnt at kalik.net tnt at kalik.net
Tue Mar 31 16:41:51 CEST 2009

>Unique will solve your problem but keep in mind that this will consume more
>resources.

That is not a very good solution. True, there will be only one insert in
the table but if you make sql fail the insert, sql module will fail as
will accounting, so no response will go back to the NAS. And it will
send that accounting packet again and again and again ...

Under normal circumstances one dropped response is not a problem. NAS
tends to repeat unanswered accounting packets every 2 seconds, while
freeradius keep the request on the list for 5 seconds. So you would need
three consecutive dropped responses for duplicate to end up in the
radacct table. If your network has such packet loss fiddling with
accounting is least of your worries.

But if if your NAS is retransmitting in intervals longer than 5 seconds
you should fix that.

Ivan Kalik
Kalik Informatika ISP