buffered-sql doesn't make sense to me

Ivan Kalik tnt at kalik.net
Mon May 4 22:29:47 CEST 2009

> I'm trying to set up buffered-sql on my test freeradius server.  I've
> been reading the example config files, but I'm confused because the
> buffered-sql example seems to be incomplete.

No. Your understanding of how it works is incomplete.

> The example "buffered-sql" file says to use one virtual server to log to
> the detail file,

Yes. That would be default virtual server (by default).

>and another virtual server to read from it.

Yes. buffered-sql.

> But, there
> is no example config file supplied for logging to the detail file.

Because it is the default virtual server. It's already configured.

> The
> only example given is the one for reading from it (i.e. the buffered-sql
> file)
>
> How do I configure buffered-sql?

Make sure that the detail file default virtual server writes to is the
same that buffered-sql will read from (it isn't same by default).
Uncomment sql in accunting section of buffered-sql.

> Also, decoupled-accounting appears to me to be very similar to
> buffered-sql.  If it's not, how is it different?

Default virtual server doesn't write to detail file but special virtual
server (write_detail.example.com) does that. Accounting is totally
separated from authentication.

Ivan Kalik
Kalik Informatika ISP