current RHEL/CentOS pre-built packages (Was: freeRADIUS)

John Dennis jdennis at redhat.com
Sun May 17 18:33:31 CEST 2009

Just E. Mail wrote:
> I am trying to install freeRADIUS on a CentOS 5.3 machine with
> PostgreSQL-8.3.7. My plan is to first install freeRADIUS and test it
> then setup PostgreSQL as the backend to store data.
>
> Is there any freeRADIUS RPMS V#2.1.4 or newer for CentOS?

No, the version in RHEL and CentOS is 1.1.3. The following link explains
why and also explains how to acquire and build a current FreeRADIUS RPM
for RHEL/CentOS (but read the rest of this email, pre-built versions are
coming).

http://wiki.freeradius.org/Red_Hat_FAQ

Please note, the wiki will direct you to download the most current SRPM
from koji (the Fedora build system) to build yourself on RHEL/CentOS,
the most current SRPM is 2.1.3, we did not and will not release 2.1.4
nor 2.1.5 for Fedora. However on tomorrow on Monday the 2.1.6 release is
scheduled to go public from the FreeRADIUS project. Shortly thereafter I
will have posted 2.1.6 SRPM and RPM's on koji (will probably show up by
Tuesday). You may want to wait to pick up these RPM's instead of the 2.1.3.

In the past I had been prohibited from providing current FreeRADIUS
pre-built packages for RHEL/CentOS because it would have conflicted with
the official version in the distribution (thus it was incumbent for
RHEL/CentOS users to build their own version). However, just recently I
have been granted permission to post pre-built current versions of
FreeRADIUS for RHEL/CentOS. The new 2.1.6 version will be the first
release this will occur for. Therefore sometime shortly after the 2.1.6
release becomes official I will post an announcement here on this list
and update the aforementioned wiki page with links to the pre-built
2.1.6 release for RHEL/CentOS. I expect this will probably happen by
Tuesday but no guarantees.

It is critical to note for RHEL customers the updated RPMS are
considered "tech preview" and do not come with any official RHEL
support. We expect to provide an official update to RHEL with a 2.x
version of FreeRADIUS in the next update cycle which would be RHEL 5.5,
once included in an official update RHEL customers will receive support
for the updated version. However RHEL 5.5 is almost a year away, thus
this is the reason why I've been given permission to post current
RHEL/CentOS packages on a "tech preview" basis, in anticipation of it's
official inclusion in RHEL 5 but with a long incubation period.

--
John Dennis <jdennis at redhat.com>

Looking to carve out IT costs?
www.redhat.com/carveoutcosts/