Wimax + Freeradius

Alan DeKok aland at deployingradius.com
Mon May 18 13:03:42 CEST 2009

Maxim Vinnichenko wrote:
> Thank you for you answer. I've changed test user and now the server
> sends access-accept but CPE still doesn't connect.

  Some NAS equipment will ignore Access-Accept if it doesn't contain the
right magic.  The exact definition of this magic is usually found buried
in a footnote on page 400 out of 800 of the vendor documentation.

  Go look at the NAS logs, and see if there is any useful messages.  If
not, call the NAS vendor, and tell them that their product is defective.

  FreeRADIUS works with WiMAX equipment from Nokia, Cisco and Motorola.
 (That I've seen.)  Other vendors known to have problems include
Alvarion.  They don't seem to care that their equipment doesn't work,
and they haven't answered any of my messages about it.

  The only solution is to point out publicly that Alvarion is *not*
following the WiMAX specs, and therefore people should buy *real* WiMAX
equipment.