problem with rlm_counter module when reset option is set to never

Ahmed Nifaz Faizabadi ahmednifaz at gmail.com
Tue May 26 15:33:34 CEST 2009

>> Here is the issue I am facing with rlm_counter module.
>> I am using freeradius-server-2.1.4 and configuring Max session time
>> for each user.
>>
>> for example:
>> user1          Max-Session-Time := 1800, Auth-Type := Reject
>>                 Reply-Message = "Your time limit is used"
>>
>> user2          Max-Session-Time := 3600, Auth-Type := Reject
>>                 Reply-Message = "Your time limit is used"
>>
>> and rlm_counter options are :
>>
>> counter daily {
>>        counter-name = Max-All-Session-Time
>>        check-name = Max-All-Session
>>        key = User-Name
>>        reset = never
>>    }
>>

>> I am observing that the user accounting record is not deleted from
>> rlm_counter module once the user has used his allocated time.
>
> And what makes you think it would be.

   This would increase the accounting file size indefenitely and cause
some other problems as the user records are not at all being deleted.

>> For
>> example when user1 has used 1800 seconds allocated to him then I will
>> be deleting the user from users config and then add the same user
>> back. I am getting the "Your time limit is used" message :(.
>>
>> Does somebody has information about how to delete the records from
>> rlm_counter module once they are expired with reset-option set to
>> never.
>
> Yes. Delete accounting records as well when you delete user details.

  I tried that but that accounting file is in binary or some other
encrypted format. Will you please let me know about how to delete that
accounting record or how to convert that to simple text file ( which
would make easy deleting expired records) .

Ahmed Nifaz