FreeRADIUS + Postgresql dies unexpectedly

Alexander Clouter alex at digriz.org.uk
Thu Nov 12 18:51:34 CET 2009

Duarte Fonseca <fonseca.duarte at gmail.com> wrote:

> So the problem seems to still be present, this is how I'm testing,
> please let me know if I'm doing something wrong.
>
> I got the redhat SRPM from
>
> http://people.redhat.com/jdennis/freeradius-rhel-centos/src/freeradius2-2.1.7-2.el5.src.rpm
>
> Applied the change to the source file and built the binary rpm,
> installed it and re run my test several times, and it kept failing.

----
git clone http://git.freeradius.org/freeradius-server.git
cd freeradius-server
git checkout origin/stable
git checkout -b mybranch
----

That will give you what is to become 2.1.8 and the patches in there are
considered stable.  If you want to go with 2.1.7 then:
----
git checkout release_2_1_7
git checkout -b mybranch
git cherry-pick 45877bf44b02d418b6fb263a39e5de07ced58b6e
----

You should also compile the whole thing with optimisations turned off
and debugging symbols in there; you are not doing the former so it might
make it more difficult to work out what is wrong:
----
CFLAGS='-O0 -g' ./configure
----

You Redhat folk might have a Redhat Way(tm) to do the above though?

> I've rebuilt the rpm with --enable-developer and captured the
> following with gdb and valgrind.
>
> http://dl.dropbox.com/u/797051/radiusd/gdb-radiusd.log
> http://dl.dropbox.com/u/797051/radiusd/valgrind-radiusd.log

To my untrained eye it looks like the bug in in libpq, unless libpq is
being handed a mangled pointer by FreeRADIUS.

Looks rather similar to:

http://archives.postgresql.org/pgadmin-hackers/2009-01/msg00079.php

> I also tried replacing the full source with the latest from
> git(stable) but I failed to get it to build a rpm.

Ah....well...I can give you the Debian destructions :)

Cheers

--
Alexander Clouter
.sigmonster says: Goodbye, cool world.